Pumpkin pie and bread pudding definitely make my list of favorite desserts of all time. They are both comforting, creamy, and just sweet enough. I thought, why not combine them and have the best of both worlds? Introducing…Pumpkin Pie Bread Pudding! Let me tell you, it’s a match made in heaven!
This recipe is so easy to make, and you may already have all of the ingredients on hand. For the bread, I used my favorite sprouted bread, but feel free to substitute whatever bread you like best.
There is little added sugar in this bread pudding, as it uses only 1/4 cup of maple syrup for sweetness. I prefer to keep my desserts not too sweet, and in this case, an extra drizzle of maple syrup can easily be added at the table if desired.
Pumpkin Pie Bread Pudding makes a perfect weekend breakfast, and goes great with copious amounts of coffee. I wouldn’t know this…just speaking for a friend 😉
- 6 slices sprouted bread or bread of your choice (I used Silver Hills Bakery Big 16 purchased at Whole Foods)
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 3/4 cup canned pumpkin
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice (or use a mixture of mostly cinnamon with nutmeg, ginger and cloves to equal 1 tsp)
- Dash of salt
- Melted coconut oil for coating pan
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Grease an 8 inch round cake pan with coconut oil or butter.
- Cut bread into 1/2 inch cubes.
- In a medium bowl, combine all wet ingredients and spices.
- Stir bread cubes into wet mixture until thoroughly coated.
- Spoon mixture into prepared pan. Bake for 40 minutes or until top is slightly brown.
- Cut into squares or cut like a pie. Top with more maple syrup if desired.