There’s just something about a chocolate chip cookie, you know? What if I told you I had an amazing chocolate chip cookie that was packed with protein, gluten free, and refined sugar free? It’s true!
These cookies use a secret ingredient and my latest obsession in baking…chickpeas! I know I know, it might sound strange, but believe me, when you blend them up and incorporate them into baked goods, you can hardly taste them! Plus, they they add a fudgy texture and boost of protein and fiber.
The first time I gave one of these cookies to my husband, he had no idea there were chickpeas in them. Sneaky of me, but true!
As far as equipment, these are super easy because everything comes together in a food processor. No mixer is required. For easy cleanup, I line the baking sheet with parchment paper. No washing required!
I love packing these cookies in our lunches for work. They make a great pre- or post-gym snack too!
Let me know if you give these a try! I hope you enjoy 🙂
- 1 can organic chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 3/4 cup almond flour (I used Bob's Red Mill)
- 1/2 cup drippy peanut butter (I used Crazy Richard's)
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup chocolate chunks of choice ( I used an 85% cacao bar, chopped up)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a food processor, add chickpeas. Blend till smooth, about 2 minutes.
- Add: almond flour, peanut butter, maple syrup and baking soda. Blend again till incorporated.
- Add egg. Blend again.
- Stir in chocolate chunks of choice.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment. Scoop heaping tablespoons of dough to form about 20 cookies. Wet your fingers to shape. (Tip: they will pretty much stay the same shape you make them after baking.)
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Let cool on baking sheet. Store in fridge if you can’t eat them all at once 🙂