When the weather gets warm, I crave anything light and fresh tasting to brighten up my meals. In comes..basil cashew pesto! With only four ingredients, this pesto requires no cooking and comes together literally in 3 minutes! Can’t beat that for a quick summer topping, am I right?
The beauty of this basil cashew pesto is it can be served with anything! Spoon some fresh pesto on: chicken, shrimp, fish, sandwiches, pasta, rice, quinoa, grilled veggies, roasted veggies, salads, eggs…you get the idea, the options are endless!
Why It Makes Cents
Store bought pesto is very expensive, and understandably so. Pesto is typically made from pine nuts which can be quite pricey. Two ways to save when on making your own pesto:
- Grow your own basil plant! We bought a small plant which we keep inside near a window for $5.99. This is much more cost effective than buying a little package of fresh basil every time you need it. And it’s more fun! (Thank goodness for my husband and his green thumb! :))
- Purchase raw cashews in bulk. The Whole Foods bulk section and Costco have the best prices I’ve seen for raw organic cashews. For me, anything under $9/lb is ideal!
Let’s get cooking!
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves, packed
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 3 Tb fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- salt to taste
- In a food processor, blend basil, cashews and lemon juice until thoroughly combined.
- Slowly stream in olive oil, continue blending.
- Season with salt to taste. Serve over anything you like!